King Salman of Saudi Arabia signs order which allows women to drive - Royal News And Celebrity Fashions Site

Breaking News

Post Top Ad

Wednesday 27 September 2017

King Salman of Saudi Arabia signs order which allows women to drive

King Salman of Saudi Arabia signs order which allows women to drive

King Salman of Saudi Arabia’s has issued a decree which allows women to be given driving licences according to state media.

From June 2018, women driver will be allowed on the road for the first time in the country’s history.

Currently, Saudi Arabia is the only country in the world which bans women from driving.

Some Saudi women have been fined and imprisoned for driving in the past.

In the country at the moment, women rely on male chaperones and rely on taxis driven by men.

King Salman’s predecessor, King Abdullah, had previously said that women would be allowed to drive when society was ready for it.

He said in 2008: “I believe strongly in the rights of women. My mother is a woman. My sister is a woman. My daughter is a woman. My wife is a woman. I believe the day will come when women will drive.

“In fact if you look at the areas of Saudi Arabia, the desert, and in the rural areas, you will find that women do drive. The issue will require patience. In time I believe that it will be possible. I believe that patience is a virtue.”

No comments:

Post Bottom Ad

Pages